Leaders In Oncology Care (LOC) rated as ‘outstanding’ by CQC
LOC at The Christie Private Care, part of HCA UK’s long-standing partnership with the NHS, has been rated ‘Outstanding’ by national regulators, the Care Quality Commission (CQC). HCA Healthcare UK now has three ‘Outstanding’ ratings in the North West with The Wilmslow Hospital and The Christie Private Care.
Located in Manchester, LOC at The Christie Private Care which provide anti-cancer therapies including chemotherapy and immunotherapy as well as holistic support, were marked out for their outstanding practice in the categories of ‘caring’ and ‘effective’ indicative of good outcomes and compassionate delivery of care. The CQC found examples of outstanding practice at LOC at The Christie Private Care that support the delivery of the highest quality patient-centred care, including:
- Staff took time to develop exceptionally positive, professional relationships with patients which led directly to an improved patient experience.
- Treatment and care were adapted to meet the needs of individual patients and their families, with flexible treatment plans and approaches to reflect the patient’s physical and mental health.
- There was a positive, progressive culture within the service with a clear focus on improving patient experience and outcomes.
- Senior managers were visible and approachable in the service for patients and staff.
- The service and the wider organisation were actively involved in research and shared information on innovative practice for the benefit of patients.
Staff were praised throughout the report for treating patients with ‘exceptional compassion and kindness, respect[ing] their privacy and dignity’ and taking account of their individual needs. The CQC also highlighted that LOC at The Christie Private Care offers patients and their carers practical and emotional support before, during and after treatment; making use of alternative therapies and innovative approaches to support patients.
They praised the commitment to continual improvement, highlighting how staff monitor the effectiveness of care and treatment, and use the findings to make improvements and achieve good outcomes for patients. This was reiterated by staff, who said ‘they were encouraged to present ways to work which improved the patient experience’.
The Christie Private Care also provides inpatient care on the same campus which has previously been rated Outstanding by the CQC, and has recently invested £7.8million in the advancements of these services, including the region’s only independent sector da Vinci Xi robotic surgical system.
Claire Smith, CEO of HCA Healthcare UK Joint Ventures said: “We are delighted to have received an ‘Outstanding’ rating from the CQC, and that our bespoke treatment plans, passionate and dedicated team, and exceptional patient care have been recognised
“HCA Healthcare UK now has three ‘Outstanding’ ratings in the North West for the care we provide – from diagnosis and screening, to surgery and therapies – an achievement we are incredibly proud of.”
Read the CQC’s full report here.